Server trouble lately

Rune

Administrator
Staff member
Runic Admin
Nov 1, 2013
Hi all,

The server has been sick during peak times lately. The problem is that the server is trying to eat up more memory than it has available... in a very unhealthy way.

We've tried adding a new type of memory - swap - and that hasn't helped, as we saw last night.

Today I've updated as many plugins as I could in case a newer version fixed some bug that we're facing. I also noticed that in the LiveMap setup I had it set to pause updates when >20 players are online. My gut tells me this could be part of the problem... since we only see the crashes when a lot of people are on and LiveMap is building up a queue of updates. I've changed the setting to let it work more evenly and we'll see what happens.

Our server host is also going to double our memory sometime this weekend just so we can see what happens. He feels one of our plugins has a memory leak, and that's really not a fun or easy problem to find.

So we are working on it! Hopefully the server will be stable again soon.
Rune

Rune

Administrator
Staff member
Runic Admin
Nov 1, 2013
The memory issue seems a lot better - but mainly because our host has given us a lot more temporarily to see if it helps. Not sure what happens from here on that.

But now there's lag for some reason that we can't really find. To try and help, I've disabled a few plugins which players won't really notice... and tweaked a bunch of server settings, including how mobs and entities work and also how much stress hoppers can put on the server. Mostly it shouldn't be too painful - I hope. I'm continuing to push the host as well, since this lag has come out of nowhere, and so I really don't think it's something we're doing...

Zaris

Apr 20, 2015
Any News About your Provider ? i mean theres alot of times i cant connect to server due to internal error an the server have 0 players on it. Is this caused becaus of and unstable service Provider or Somthing else ?
Today at 10 Gmt +1 i couldent connect to server
it said 0/32 i think it was
and still i was unable to logon untile 30 to 45 min later

Rune

Administrator
Staff member
Runic Admin
Nov 1, 2013
It's stable lately..

45 mins ago was our server restart, maybe you were trying during that....

Rune

Administrator
Staff member
Runic Admin
Nov 1, 2013
Our hosting company has rebuilt a server for us and will be moving our files there at some point today (hopefully). The server will be down for a few hours while he transfers files.

Rune

Administrator
Staff member
Runic Admin
Nov 1, 2013
It's taking a long time to transfer the data, mainly because our Live Map files are so large. It's still in progress and probably going to take some more hours.

ChefCoast

Administrator
Runic Admin
Nov 16, 2014
TWITTER
ChefCoast
What is the estimated time of completion? Not really in the mood for anything but minecraft right now.

Rune

Administrator
Staff member
Runic Admin
Nov 1, 2013
He didn't give a specific time, I'll see what I can get from him and update here when I know more...

Zaris

Apr 20, 2015
i gues theres some problems ? or somthing caus its nearly taken a whole day to do it lol

Rune

Administrator
Staff member
Runic Admin
Nov 1, 2013
No problems, it just took a lot longer than he thought, I think... and he had to leave for some time. So... I'm trying to push to get him back on it to finalize the work since I'm sure the data copy is done by now. Sorry for the wait.

He offered to bring back the current server to have something online, but I preferred NOT to do that, because then he'd have to copy the map data again... and I think we all want this server junk to be over and done with.

mikuneko

Administrator
Runic Admin
Dec 16, 2013
Texas
push push push rune! we want minecraft back! :p

Zaris

Apr 20, 2015
Ya indeed ur right better to have it working then have half a server :p
but dont worry about it atleast it gets back up again i hope :D

Not sure u know my story but before i ended up here i was a mod on 2 servers in the end both went down an lost all
my builds even tho they promised me a copy off it -.- so now im hopeing this one dosent go like the others as im very happy here on the server nice community an help full players also took some time to add some plugin Surggestions to help improve the server not that its really needed :D caus evry thing is nice :D any ways hope it gets up soon :D

Rune

Administrator
Staff member
Runic Admin
Nov 1, 2013
We're back up

ChefCoast

Administrator
Runic Admin
Nov 16, 2014
TWITTER
ChefCoast
Uhh... Why is there only 10 player slots?

Rune

Administrator
Staff member
Runic Admin
Nov 1, 2013
It changed back to default. It's at 42 again.

Rune

Administrator
Staff member
Runic Admin
Nov 1, 2013
The lag returned just as bad as before after the server was put back to its proper place. (The host rebuilt the server hoping it would help... but... it didn't)

Since I'm quite tired of dealing with that headache, and everyone is VERY tired of playing in the lag, the server has been moved to a new host and a new server. A completely new home for us! Now based in New York, a test earlier showed it works much better for us... so enjoy! Server IP is the same.