Zoology

Hans

Nov 4, 2013
So I'm working on a zoo/research facility and I need some creative names for the creatures in Minecraft. Since I'm not very good with Latin nomenclature I was hoping I could get some ideas from you guys!

I'll go ahead and keep a list of the animals we have names for so everyone can see it here. I'll update it as we get names.

Squid: Bathyteuthis cuboideum

jimberoo

Nov 2, 2013
Squids spring to mind. Belong to the order Teuthida. Perhaps something like Bathyteuthis cuboideum? Bathyteuthis is a particular family of squid and cuboideum... well, that's pretty obvious ;)

Dec 16, 2013
A box in the middle of no where
I think I may have one for creeper. It's not dirty I swear!

Trinitrotoluene Mobilous

Trinitrotoluene is the full word for TNT. Since creepers explode, I figured that would be a nice classification. Mobilous is just a made up word because I could think of a good science-y sounding word for "moving". So, basically, "Moving Dynamite"

Dec 16, 2013
A box in the middle of no where
Cow: Bos Cuboidium
Mooshroom: Bos Cuboidium Muscaria

Bos is the genus for cows. Muscaria is derived from the name Amanita Muscaria which is the Binomial name for the type of mushroom that closely resembles the ones you get from sheering a mooshroom, Fly Amanita (AKA Fly Agaric.)

A little bit of trivia, the Amanita Muscaria or Fly Amanita/Agaric is actually poisonous.

Dec 13, 2013
One of my goals for the Minecraftic Park Project is to come up with funny psuedo-latin names for each mob. The other replies so far have been more serious than these, so keep in mind these ones are meant to be silly, and short enough to fit on one line of text on a sign.

Sheep: Woolius Shepius
Cow: Milkis Moovinus
Chicken: Tinius Raptoris
Pig: Oinkus Muddius

I'm going to be changing some of these and thinking of new mobs soon. If you like these I can update later on. :)